Say with me now… “Deeeeelishhhhh!!!!”
Who said you can’t have comfort food while living a healthy lifestyle?
Sometimes, my inner child comes out and just wants some good ol’ Mac & Cheese. Luckily, I found a delicious recipe created by the 21 Day Fix inventor, Autumn Calabrese. Her cookbook, Fixate, is absolutely outstanding… This recipe is quick (15ish mins. to prepare) and I actually had all the ingredients in the house!
I tweaked it so it can be gluten free for Miss Sophia; but of course, you can substitute the gluten free ingredients.
Without further ado..
Mac. and Cheese with Broccoli-Sophia Style
2 cups per serving
What you need:
4 oz. dry gluten free pasta (you can use dry whole wheat pasta)
4 tsp. organic butter or extra-virgin organic coconut oil
2 Tbsp. organic coconut flour
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
1 1/4 cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
4 cups of chopped broccoli florets, steamed
1 tsp. Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
1/2 ground black pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to directions (don’t use salt if suggested in directions). Set aside.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour; cook, whisk constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown- don’t let it burn!
4. Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
6. Add broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, or until heated through.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy!!
*Chicken can be added in step 6 for protein
*Asparagus, green beans or brussels sprouts can be substituted for broccoli
*Add a combination of cheeses such as cheddar and Gouda, Monterey jack and cheddar.
21 day Fix Container Equivalents per serving:
(1/2 red if chicken is added)
Please follow and like us:
Leave a Reply